2013 was a pivotal year for the Community Foundation of Ottawa. It has been our honour and pleasure to serve together during this transitional period, celebrating successes and making significant progress towards achieving important strategic goals that will be completed in 2014. All of this is made possible by a strong and cohesive team of staff and volunteers that is led by an exceptional Board of Governors and supported by a dedicated community of donors and front-line service providers.
As we close one chapter and open another – both on a personal and organizational level – it is our pleasure to share some of the highlights of the past year with you:
- Assets under management hit the $100M mark;
- Investment returns of 15.3% were achieved after fees;
- $5.7M was granted out to the community, bringing our total contribution over 26 years to almost $75M;
- A significant consultation was carried out with the community to determine how we could improve our grantmaking;
- A Diversity and Inclusion Policy was developed;
- Barbara McInnes announced her retirement after 26 years with the Foundation, working with the Board and staff to make the smooth transition to new leadership in 2014;
- We bid farewell to outgoing Board members Judith Maxwell and Chris Henderson and thanked them for their outstanding contribution to the organization.
Farewell message from Barbara McInnes
Early in 2013, I decided the time was right for me to retire after 26 years with this magnificent organization. The Foundation was healthier than ever before in terms of governance, staffing, asset base, grantmaking, investment returns, and, most important of all, reputation. I was very proud to hand over the reins of a strong and well managed organization.
The people and organizations that deserve credit for this and to whom I am deeply indebted are too many to list but include those precious souls in our community who give so generously and those who make magic with the grants we provide. First and foremost, though, I am deeply grateful to the staff and Board, and especially value Brian’s exceptional leadership during this transition.
Special tribute message from Brian Toller
We closed an important chapter in 2013 when Barbara McInnes announced her retirement after 26 years with the Foundation. She took the Foundation from a fledgling organization with a $500,000 endowment in 1987 to the $100 million success story that it is today. Throughout that time, she led with humility, energy, passion and grace. She has made a deep impression on literally thousands of people in our community. So on behalf of everyone in the city at large, thank you Barbara for everything you have done for us.
At the same time, we have also opened a new chapter, with the selection of Marco Pagani as our new President and CEO. Marco inherits an established, trusted organization that has been a leader of philanthropy in Ottawa for decades. As a seasoned executive, his challenge is to build on its strengths and take us to the next level, making our impact even greater. I am confident he is up to the task and look forward to working with him in the coming years.
Chair, Board of Governors
*Barbara McInnes, CM
President & CEO
*Retired Dec. 31, 2013